Friday, March 18, 2011

The word of the day is "top strips"

So today is carpet day, and to say Rick and I are excited is a bit of an understatement. The carpet symbolizes the completion of the basement, which will lead to completion of the nursery, which means we are ready for baby. Sometimes carpet is not just carpet.

I was stationed to work from home to "oversee" the carpet guys. Why Rick trusted me to oversee any of this is beyond me...But after this most recent exchange, I think I might understand why he left me here. No one wants to upset a pregnant woman.

Noberto (this is not a typo, it is No-Berto) and his trusty sidekick who we will call "Cubs Hat" arrived to install the carpet and immediately Noberto was pointing out that there are two different types of concrete on the floor of the basement. This is apparently significant because he doesn't want to nail the "top strips" (this is what I thought he was saying, my man has a bit of an accent. I later learned he was saying "tack strips") into the "different" concrete because it might bust it up. I tell Noberto to do what he has to do to make this work. Seeing that I do not understand the gravity of the situatuion, he goes on to explain (with Cubs Hat interjecting when it is clear that there is a bit of a language barrier) that now he has to glue down the top strips and the glue must set for 24 hours, then they have to come back to install the carpet. Hold the m-er f-ing phone, Noberto. The Herrrweens (that's how he says it) have plans for this basement this weekend that do not involve a 24-48 hour carpet installation delay.

I point out that the guy that measured should have pointed this out and Noberto responded with "No shiz, girlfriend" (I paraphrase) and I must have started to look upset. Noberto, who is clearly not related to Manny with Totsy, actually is a problem solver and suggests they give it a go and see if the nails hold in the concrete because he "doesn't want to stress me out". He's even putting down a little bit of glue on his dime just in case.

Turns out, the concrete is not as crappy as it looks and all is well down in the basement (so far). I can hear them hammering away down there and I even hear some sweeping up happening. They must know how much I hate dust. Sometimes pregnancy does have its privileges...

No comments:

Post a Comment