Friday, March 11, 2011

Celebrations and Fears

One of the stranger side effects of pregnancy is that I cannot seem to get a handle on dates. The days of the week always feel "wrong" and I seem to be constantly switching up dates for things. Case in point: I was convinced that my dear sister Liza's (Shisha) birthday was on Wednesday. Then I realized it was actually on Thursday, but I just couldn't snap back and felt like somehow I had missed it. Well, yesterday came and went and I posted in a rush due to work stuff and again missed her birthday.

Well, I didn't MISS it, but I missed the opportunity to post about it. We did go out for a family birthday celebration last night, which was delightful. All were in attendance, everyone left stuffed, and minimal tears were shed. I call that a success.

Happy Birthday Shisha!

While some might consider turning 32 terrifying, it's pretty low on my list of fears. What's numero UNO is earthquakes. I guess it is my geology background, because news of any sort of quake flips my insanity switch. When we had that minor quake here a few years back, I rushed to the store to assemble my disaster preparedness kit. I was running through the aisles like a maniac on Supermarket Sweep, convinced that I was going to miss the last pack of batteries or first aid kit. Well, for a city that freaks out at news of half an inch of pending snow, St. Louisans are surprisingly nonchalant regarding earthquakes. I believe Liza put it best when she said "You are totally that crazy person in all the movies that warns people of looming disaster while they are stocking up their bomb shelter...you know, the only one that survives."

The news of the earthquake in Japan and subsequent tsunamis solidifies the plans for at least part of the weekend. It's time to update ye ole disaster kit! And since I am in nesting mode, my kit shall be grander than all the other non-existent kits in the land. And for those of you looters that think you can glom on to our kit once the "big one" hits, be warned. Rick has a semi-automatic pellet gun, and he's not afraid to use it. Just ask the squirrels.

1 comment:

  1. We have no disaster preparedness kit, but Chip does have a pellet gun, which he uses to "pump the possums full of hot lead." Because it's all about protecting his womenfolk.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete