Friday, March 4, 2011

Cultural Experience

I am surrounded by construction. They are also renovating our office building, which has recently included varnishing all wooden surfaces and repainting. It's a fume-a-palooza. If I wasn't concerned about the VOCs or whatever else is in the air, it smells of rotten mayonaisse and shoe polish and it's more than I can stand. The fumes are no better today, so I found myself at the Panera in Creve Coeur working for the day. I sat down next to a table of 70-something jewish gentlemen (not stereotyping; this becomes a relevant item shortly) and am equal parts disturbed and enchanted with their conversation (these are not soft talkers):

Round 1
Man #1: "My sister in law said her goal this year is to go on one date."
Man #2: "Is she do-able?"
Man #1: "No"

Round 2
Man #1: "I am thinking of giving up golf and taking up tennis."
Man #3: "I like tennis, but I look horrible in those outfits."

Round 3
Man #2: "(Insert someone's name here) is a total anti-semite. He called his assistant a f-ing (insert horrible defamatory jewish term here)."
Man #1: I will never watch another Mel Gibson movie again. Though he was good in 'Bird on a Wire'".
Man #3: "Was it Goldie Hawn or Meg Ryan in that movie?"
Man #2: "Meg Ryan. I haven't watched a movie with her since she cheated on Dennis Quaid. It's just not the same."
Man #1: "She was great in that movie with Billy Crystal, Sleepless Seattle or something."
Man #3: "oh no, that wasn't the name. It's on the tip of my tongue. The one with the diner scene. I'll have what she's having."

Hilarity ensues.

The conversations were peppered with f-bombs and it was hilarious. I might have to hang out here more often. Maybe they'll make me one of their crew. Anyone that has such strong opinions about Meg Ryan is ok by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment