Monday, August 16, 2010

Humbled

So apparently God didn't like my boastful "I don't suck that bad" proclamations I made last Saturday after my run, and decided to take me down a few pegs this past Saturday. The run was 7 miles and it started at 7:15. It had rained overnight and was already a balmy 77 degrees when I started out on the run. Needless to say, those 7 degrees made all the difference in the world and I had to negotiate with myself almost the entire time. Internal discussions along the lines of "just make it to the end of the block/telephone pole/past this super-fast runner gal coming in the other direction and you can walk for a minute" took place throughout the run. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of it being finished, which it was about 75 minutes later.

While I still made it back with about 15 minutes to spare before "panic time", it was an entirely different experience than the weekend before. No more bragging about my mediocre ability from here on out. I will keep discussions/proclamations regarding any improvements in my almost non-existent running ability to myself.

BUT, what I will mention is my big brother's ability! As you all know, Patrick (or Happy, as the girls call him), is an athlete extraordinaire. He is now a Cat 1 cyclist. This, of course, means he races in the pro races now, if I am not mistaken, which adds a whole extra level of anxiety to us spectators, which is the most important part of this announcement: how it will influence ME. And as if that ability isn't enough, he has taken to running (I'm convinced just to torment me) and guess what? He excels at that too. Well, as annoying as all this is, he's pretty humble about it all and never lets anyone know how well he does. Lucky for him, I either cyberstalk his results or drag them out of him when we chat. I knew he had a triathlon on Sunday, and come to find out, our big brother finished 6th! No 6th in his age group or anything like that. 6th out of EVERYONE! Way to go Hapster! We are so very proud of you. You can rest assured that none of your siblings are going to be stealing your athletic limelight any time soon!


Hapster on the attack at last year's Gateway Cup


Patrick somehow managing to make Sweet Thunder look menacing.

No comments:

Post a Comment