Friday, August 27, 2010

A Day in the Life

On our daily morning phone call yesterday, Mom was extra inquisitive about what I do for a living. It's not terribly interesting to many people, so I don't talk about it too often. I am fairly certain I heard her snoring lightly during my dissertation regarding how soil type influences petroleum migration, so I figured I would be better off just showing some pictures that would accurately depict the glamour that is my day to day life.

I was on-site overseeing installation of some soil borings. The piece of equipment being used above is a push-probe drill rig, that they have mounted in some sort of box truck. Normally this is attached to a regular truck or is some fashion of drill rig. Note the USA Today in the foreground. CULTURE! I checked and there was even a current issue inside. I was strangely fascinated by this feature at the gas station in the middle of nowhere Hayti, MO. Who reads USA Today down here? Someone makes a special trip and drops this off EVERY DAY? How many could they really sell. I should have opened it up to see how many were in there. I am guessing just the one on the front. It's these things that keep my mind occupied while at a job site.

This is the soil boring that is retrieved from the ground. The soil is then examined and packaged for sampling at a lab.


Nothing but exotic locales for this gal. Why staycation when the bustling destination of Hayti, MO is but a 185 mile jaunt down Highway 55?

This is the station where we were working. Note the box truck has now moved. Can you stand the excitement?

I am constantly surrounded by beautiful architecture.
Here's the super exciting part: I am not even the one doing any of the work. I am there just DOCUMENTING the work! Mind you, I paid my dues with the logging of borings and sample collecting, so I don't feel quite as guilty for sitting in my car and cooling my heels while everyone else gets all dusty and sweaty. It's a glamorous life I lead. Try not to be jealous.






2 comments:

  1. I have found that no one understands or even attempts to understand anymore. Not my family, husband, or friends, but kudos to you for trying to explain and include some pictures. How about you document a dig & haul next - everyone seems to be enthralled with big equipment and a large hole in the ground!

    SJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often thought that I could make a serious profit off of taping some of these excavation jobs and making a children's video out of it. Kids love that junk. Per your request, I will make sure and include photos of the raze and rebuild of this site once it starts up. I was really impressed that my Mom knew the name of my company! I am glad the lack of interest is across the board and not just my circle of friends/family!

    ReplyDelete