Friday, January 21, 2011

The year of the Ox

Ahh, the winds of change, they are a'blowin here amongst the Harkins siblings. Not only are we expecting our first child, but big brother Patrick is making a big move to Austin as I type this. He has been living in Nashville for the past 7 (is that right?) or so years and, though a great city, he is on to bigger and better things. I spoke to him this morning as I was headed to work and as he was making his final trip out of the front door of his very first home.
For someone who has moved one zillion times in my life, I get strangely attached to things like houses, apartments, cars, etc. Maybe it's precisely because of all the moves that I get this way. I will be sending my parents my therapy bills some time in the near future. But I got a bit nostalgic even at the thought of my brother leaving his house. Patrick's first house was absolutely perfect for him and was a perfect reflection of his personality. There were bikes strewn around all over the place, (tasteful) concert posters on the walls, beautiful custom kitchen cabinets filled to the brim with books (no food), a basically unused Viking range (we tried to use it once but the fire alarm went off), and super comfy furniture hand-picked by his doting sisters, mother, and several charming female saleswomen that convinced him that he HAD to have some item for his home. We always loved to go visit Happy in Nashville and usually dreaded the hungover drive home on Sundays after long weekends filled with good food and good company.
He also threw some great parties in his house, most notably the great New Year's Eve party of 2007. This was when I first experienced what I have learned is basically the Harkins Family Mantra of "it is better to have too much than not enough". When coming up with the shopping list for the party of approximately 40 people, I was instructed to pick up a keg of beer, a bottle of wine for each person, and about 10 bottles of various liquors. I also picked up about two dozen chipwich ice cream sandwiches, which are Patrick's favorite. Patrick wanted to make sure his guests had the opportunity to drink equal amounts of each adult beverage option over the course of the evening, should they so choose. Far be it from him to deny them that indulgence on New Year's Eve. Not on his watch. I thought this was silly at the time, but given the fact that I recall very little of that evening, I seem to have taken advantage of this bevy of beverages along with many of the other guests that evening.

Patrick and his first chipwich of the evening. Have you ever seen someone stare so lovingly at a sandwich cookie?

Chipwich #2, later that evening
I can't quit you Chipwich!!! (photo taking ability becomes compromised as the evening progressed, apparently)

Word of warning: don't come hungry to a Patrick Harkins party. In addition to the chipwich, vienna sausages and potted meat product were the mainstays of the menu.

As always, a great time was had by all.



We will miss you, Nashville house. Thanks for the memories!




No comments:

Post a Comment