Thursday, January 6, 2011

She's 21!!!

Weeks, that is. It will be quite some time before ol' Soup's allowed to legally enjoy adult beverages. She is now hulking around at 3/4 of a pound and some of that weight gain is thanks to muscles that are now beginning to get stronger. The eyebrows and eyelashes are now almost fully formed. The brain has developed to a point where Super now has wake and sleep cycles. This has been something I have noticed regularly in the past week or so. She tends to wake up about 20 minutes after I eat something (or at least gets to movin') and typically rumbles around when it's time to leave work. I think there have also been a few bouts of hiccups in the past two days, which is actually pretty cool to feel.

The baby is now around 10 1/4 inches and the veggie comparison is suspiciously absent from my weekly update on one of my aps. The other references a banana. I am assuming that's just the length because I don't think a banana-shape on a child (or adult) would be very flattering.

Phone Doc mentions that my belly button will likely start to pop out in the coming weeks. As Rick can attest, I am more than a little grossed out by belly buttons, particularly my own. Mine seems to be infinite and from the way it looks, it should probably emerge out of my back. I have never seen the end of it. Mom made a bet with me ($100) that we will see the end of the belly button my the end of this, and I don't think that is possible. Time will tell. I don't know if I hope that happens or not. It will be equal parts disgusting and fascinating to see a part of my body that hasn't seen the light of day in 34 years. I'll stop there.

The phone also keeps telling me that this is the most comfortable stage of my pregnancy, which would probably be true if I wasn't sick. When not pregnant, I like to test the boundaries of my body's tolerance for medication when I am not feeling well. I think both my doctor and Super would frown on that type of behavior right now, so I am suffering through. No afrin-advil-nyquil-ambien cocktails for me (it was just once and was taken over the course of a few hours, don't judge, and I slept like a maniac once it all kicked in and felt much better the next day thankyouverymuch). I also read this little tidbit in my pregnancy packet last night, which did not make me feel very optimistic about the coming days/weeks, "If you develop a common cold your symptoms will be more severe and last longer than in a non-pregnant state....A common cold may linger for 10 days to 2 weeks as compared to 3-4 days in a non-pregnant state." It then goes on to list the measly 3 things that are safe to take (none of which are part of my aforementioned cold-remedy cocktail). Awesome. God certainly has a fun sense of humor about these things. Let's make it 2-3 times worse for those ladies and make sure they can't take anything to feel better. Hardy-har, Heavenly Father. If anyone needs proof that God is not a woman, I think this is it.




2 comments:

  1. 1st: Sudafed is approved for your cold. You cannot buy this in Jeff Co. without a prescription--I found this out first hand. However, since you live in STL area, you can buy it in (somewhat) limited quantities. I can see it now-- Kaly outside Walgreens begging people to help purchase her Sudafed. Then she gets picked up for a possible meth lab (oh wait, that's only in Jeff Co.)

    2nd: My turkey timer never popped (aka. Belly button never saw the light of day). It did get shallower but never popped...this greatly upset Dustin as he wanted to make many jokes about this.

    3rd: I very much believe that Chase was born without eyebrows :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news: You could win $100. My belly button never popped, and while deep, Mary Clare can attest to the fact that it is not infinite, as she is currently obsessed with jamming her finger in my belly button.

    Bad news: There is such a thing as pregnancy rhinitis, and I am living it now. Cold symptoms are worse and they do linger. I'm going on week two with a basic cold. The Neti is your friend. Use it.

    ReplyDelete