Monday, October 29, 2012

Melmo

As I mentioned, Annie loves Elmo/Melmo. I have no idea why. I mean, I know why, but I don't know how this love affair became what it is today. She doesn't even really like him on TV, but if you see anything Melmo-related in the store, fuhgheddit. To Elmo's credit, he did get her to eat an entire tray of veggies because his image was on the box. Which might have sparked a notion for me to put Melmo stickers on every box of food she won't eat. I'll keep you posted.

When we attended a halloween party last weekend with a balloon animal dude, I thought it would be fun to get her a balloon elmo. It was cute right up until I realized I was the only adult in line with a bunch of children. A bunch of children that were stinking line-cutters. And NOTHING will make you feel like a bigger loser than calling a 5 year old out for cutting in line for the balloon animals. 

So I waited. 

And waited.

And watched 100 little mermaid balloon shapes get made. 

And watched Annie start to lose her mind from exhaustion and Rick question my sanity as I stood in this line.

Finally I was pushed to the brink. I was ONE KID AWAY from the front of the line when a little boy  proclaims "I am getting FREE FINGS (three things)!" as he wedges himself between me and my balloon maker. 

I'd like to think I handled this perfectly, but I did not. I told the kid I was next in line and he could get his free fings after I got my Melmo. He then called his mother over. She told me "It's fine if you go before him". No joke, lady! I have been standing here since Easter!

But I smiled and said I appreciated it. And I got to order the Elmo. Annie was in full melt-down mode once I finally secured the prized possession. 

She took one look.

"Melmo...wuf ooo"
(Elmo...love you)




I'd say that was worth it.

Epilogue: perhaps I should have spent some of my time in line thinking about how a teething toddler will show affection to her favorite character...let's just say I don't think things will end well for this Melmo.

1 comment:

  1. Melmo is HUGE in our house too! She calls him that too! So funny. I truly believe that if we lived near each other, Annie and Avery would be best friends.
    And you have much more patience then me, I would have bulldozer those rude little kids! Just when I think "my child will NEVER be bratty like that kid", she freaks out and is worse then The Bratty Kid! Hopefully one day I will learn me lesson!

    ReplyDelete