Wednesday, November 17, 2010

This one's for you, Granny

This is my great grandmother, Granny. She lived next door to us growing up in San Antonio. Granny's love language was spending of time, and boy did I spend a lot of time with her. She taught me how to play Gin, make cream cheese icing and fudge, told great stories of way back when, and fostered a love for the gameshow Jeopardy.


Yesterday's announcement that Prince William and Kate were getting married reminded me of another of Granny's great loves: The Royal Family. She had tons of books about them and loved to go through them with me. She wasn't a huge fan of Prince Charles (who is, really?) but liked Princess Diana, though she was a bit "common". I remember being relieved that Granny wasn't around when Princess Diana passed, because she would have been devastated both by the death and that Diana was dating an Arab. Ok, he was Egyptian, but methinks Granny might not have found that acceptable either. She was a bit "old school".

This was one of the books Granny gave me that we used to go through all the time. I will make sure to go through it in preparation for the royal festivities.

While I am sad that Granny is not around to watch this wedding (I am sure she would DVR it for repeat viewings and commentary), I am sure she's got a much better view now. I will watch the wedding while eating fudge and cream cheese icing and missing my great grandmother.

1 comment:

  1. i'd say that this is just your average dog tumor/candy rant/bagel fight/pregnancy/great grandmother/british royalty blog. but, as far as that category goes, it's a pretty good one.

    ReplyDelete