Friday, November 12, 2010

Bagel Buyer Beware

So there was some confusion regarding a previous post. Apparently some people thought I was complaining about the actual hole that occurs naturally in the center of most bagels. Seriously? People, do I seem that unreasonable? Sure, the great bagel debate of last week might have painted such a picture and had certainly festered in the minds of both Erwins, which almost resulted in there not being a Friday Morning Breakfast this week. Rick was terrified of his wife jumping over the counter and attacking the nice (lazy with inattention to detail or any quality control standards) bagel lady. But I convinced him that after last night's dinner where I was informed that my spinach tortilla veggie wrap was normally serviced on a stale, hard white tortilla, so there was no sense sending it back, that I was all out of rage for the food service industry. Both he and the bagel lady were safe.

This morning I was lucky enough to get photographic evidence of the aforementioned burned out hole on not one, but BOTH our bagels at our Friday Morning Breakfast.

This is my bagel. Six cheese with plain light cream cheese. No, I haven't already taken a bite out of it. The hole you see was there upon delivery. What is not so obvious in this picture is that the burned out section continues from the south, up in a northeastern counter-clockwise direction on the eastern half of the bagel. Covered up by cream cheese. Naturally.


Though it may look like Rick has nacho cheese (which would be awesome) on his bagel, this is actually the jalepeno salsa cream cheese in some strange lighting. Rick actually got the shiz end of the stick this week and this better shows the burned out conditions that we are dealing with. Again, this is how the bagel looked at handoff from the bagel lady/my nemesis.
Rick, always being the happy customer and reluctant to admit when he's wrong (he was adamant in his stance that I was being irrational earlier), crunched and flaked his way through his burned, scratchy bagel. We both vowed to try a different type of bagel next week, and if the same thing happens again, I am coming over the counter. Watch out bagel lady; consider this a warning shot.

6 comments:

  1. My letter to Einstein's this morning for you:

    I just have a quick question. Is it because of the cheese on top of the six cheese bagel that there are whole sections of bagel missing? The last 4 or 5 my wife and I have received had this gap and then was plastered in with topping. As if we were not to notice it. You are paying for a premium bagel and only getting a third. If you toast it, it's like there are burnt spider webs running through it. So I was wondering if this happens to all bagels? And if there are sections of bagels missing maybe another bagel should be substituted. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have ever loved you more than I do right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Kaly ordered a six cheese bagel and had light cream cheese. No, I'm not a hater, I do the same thing but it just struck me as hilarious for some reason. Also, you and Rick may need to come down to Austin and deliver the same message to our Einsteins, as I experienced the same half-hollow bagel issue last Sunday. It's a nationwide bagel crisis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realize the irony of my order, but it's really not a calorie thing, I just don't like the taste of the "full-fat" cream cheese, especially on that bagel. Good to know it's not just our Einsteins. Feel free to use Rick's letter if you like. Punks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The response from Einstein's:

    We sincerely apologize for what you have experienced and I have shared
    your comments with the Area Business Manager of this location. I have
    also asked that the issue is immediately addressed with the Management
    team and staff. Please know that we appreciate your business.

    Thank you again for taking the time to contact us and have a wonderful
    day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, I know this is a little too much effort for you, but I'm throwing this out there. I happen to have a cookbook with the recipe for Einstein's bagels--the regular ones, cinnamon sugar, chopped garlic, chopped onion, everything, or jalepeno. After reading these recipes, I believe that they have "overworked the dough" and it no longer has the "proper consistency." For the record, they also own "Noah's bagels (not that I know where that is but I'm curious if they are also overworking their dough). Let me know if you want to try this recipe--it actually seems mildly reasonable.

    ReplyDelete