Monday, September 20, 2010

Greetings from Beantown!

The Ricker and I descended on Boston on Friday and have been non-stop ever since. One thing I have learned over the years of being married to Rick is that he is not a very relaxing vacationer. Every minute is spent thinking about where we're going next, how we'll get there, and how late that place will make us in getting to the next stop. It's insanity. Oh, and he considers it a moral/physical defeat to take a cab anywhere within a 5 mile radius of your hotel. It's great for sight-seeing and the waistline, but not great for my feet in my not so sensible walking shoes.

Case in Point: Saturday started off with a 10 mile run through south Boston. You'd think that would be enough to warrant a cab for our afternoon activities, but not for the Ricker. The run was just a warm-up for the 2.5 mile walk to get to the 2.5 mile Freedom Trail. Of which, we only did about 1.5 miles because we are apparently slackers (and I have a limited attention span for history). Then the walk BACK to the hotel. As far as I can tell we logged in about 16-17 miles on Saturday. Then we attended a Red Sox game at Fenway which was absolutely great. He took mercy on me and let us take a cab to that location.

I put my foot down on Sunday and refused to spend the limited time I had available walking the 3 miles to our lunch destination, so I got to take a new Erwin record of THREE CAB RIDES on Sunday. It was magical.

I am currently on a break during the oh-so-riveting Tanks Conference while Rick jaunts around the city. Last I heard he walked 5.1 miles to Harvard Square. Rick's "Psychotic Walking Tour of Boston" should be coming out this Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment