Thursday, July 21, 2011

Perspective

A large part of my job used to be overseeing field work, and part of that was being on a job site with whatever consultant was performing the work. I don't know exactly why it happens, but inevitably the consultant ends up sharing WAY to much about their life to me. I used to think this was just because I was such a warm person and easy to talk to. Now I am hearing stories that are told to my employees and I realize that most people are just very uncomfortable with the silence and need to fill it somehow, even if it is talking about how you are a single male and have three cats and visit geology conventions on the weekend.

As I am not in the field too much these days, I haven't heard many stories. But one of my ladies was recently told a story of a admin person for a consultant that had been put on some sort of drug to treat a psychological disorder, which resulted in her passing out at her desk for the better part of the day. And this is in a small 3 person office.

I have had some bad days at work, and it's hard to drag myself in some days, but I have never had to have my boss call my shrink. Suddenly my 9:00 arrival time doesn't seem so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment