Monday, September 26, 2011

Tragic Loss

Rick started working at the City Museum in May of 2006. His position at the time of hiring was anything but well defined, but he saw the potential for a great opportunity and accepted the job. It was the place Rick and I went on our first date, so it held a special place in our hearts. Those of you that are either not from St. Louis or not familiar with the City Museum may not understand that while it is somewhat of a St. Louis monument, it is not uncommon to hear about the place on the news. The main topic was usually the somewhat reclusive but brilliant artist behind the Museum, Bob Cassilly.

To say that Rick was intimidated by Bob at the beginning is a gross understatement. Bob totally freaked Rick out. Rick couldn't understand his mumbling and he was constantly running around after Bob trying to figure out what Bob wanted him to do. Over the years, the two developed a strong working relationship and friendship and Rick got fairly good at answering the question "What would Bob do?". After five years at the Museum, I would find Rick speaking in that same, rushed and mumbled Bob-cadence. Almost every day Rick would come home with new "Bob Stories" that would tell tales of misadventure and rule-bending. All had an underlying theme of it being better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. I don't think Bob ever really intentionally ignored the rules, I just think he lived in a world where rules never really crossed his mind. To Bob, there was no need for signs, directions, or pamphlets, and the best adventures were had when a person got lost in their surroundings.

Rick called me this morning to tell me that Bob had passed away this weekend. I am devastated for my husband, who has lost his mentor and good friend. I am sad for his family that has lost their a father and a husband. I am sad for the City of St. Louis that has lost one of the most talented artists and visionaries it may ever see. But I am so thankful to have been able to spend time with him, to fall victim to his kiss on the cheek switcharoo, and will never forget his impish grin that I am pretty sure got him out of some serious trouble a time or two.

If I could see him just one more time I would tell him Thank You for nurturing my husband and giving him the freedom to care for the dream you created within the walls of the Museum. He truly loves it and you more than he would care to admit.

I am not sure God knows what is headed his way, but I sure hope heaven has a welding crew.

1 comment: