Friday, August 19, 2011

Ego Boost

I gained approximately 40 pounds during my pregnancy. Of those 40, I have lost 25. I have been pretty happy with my progress, but I still haven't been able to fit into any of my pre-pregnancy jeans. For those of you who know me, you know that I take my jeans collection very seriously. I can wear jeans to work fairly frequently, so I justify spending ridiculous amounts on jeans using the logic that if I had to wear a suit to work, I would be spending just as much. Makes perfect sense to me. With fall fast approaching, I started to panic that my beloved jeans would have to sit out another season, which was unacceptable. In an effort to reunite with my denim, I stepped up the weight loss efforts by joining Weight Watchers online. So far I have lost 5.5 pounds in the last 3 weeks. Not too shabby. At this rate I should be fine for jeans weather in a month or so.

However, thanks to some field work, I was forced to find some suitable pants to wear out in the field yesterday. As I refuse to purchase any more clothes, I squeezed myself into some of my "fat jeans". It was neither pretty nor comfortable, but it was just a day hanging out at a gas station, so what do I care? As long as they didn't bust at the seams I figured we were safe.....

....How to say this? There is a particular type of man that prefers his woman to be on the thick side. Preferrably thick on the back side. As someone that has retained the "baby got back" as my own personal anthem, I have encountered these men on a regular basis since, oh, the 8th grade. This situation was only exacerbated by my pregnancy weight. Awesome. While it's degrading and sometimes embarassing, I have always found it somewhat amusing and strangely reassuring that there are men out there that are in to that kind of thing. Of course, these are also usually the mental giants that will yell at a woman out their car window, but these are apparently my people, so I won't admonish their behavior too much.

You may wonder where I am going with all this? Well, I spent yesterday in my too-tight-jeans in Florissant, Missouri. Florissant is a municipality in the northern area of St. Louis. And apparently there is no shortage of "my people" in Florissant. By the amount of honking and yelling in my general direction, I am shocked there wasn't a car accident at this intersection. It was both hilarous and embarassing, but for a gal that just gave birth 3 months ago, I gotta say, I kind of loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment