Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Night Moves

The Double Super Duper Ear Infection I mentioned yesterday is slowly rocking our world. At least our night-time world. Before you say anything, I know. I know Rick and I are lucky to have such a wonderful sleeper and we should be thankful and yadayada. Believe me, I know and we REALLY are thankful that under normal circumstances she is probably the easiest baby around, short of a robot baby. And I would worry that a robot baby would be constantly plotting against me, so really she's just about perfect.

Where was I? Oh yes, the sleep. We've had a rough few nights. Yes. A few. Well, two really. I know. I am horrible. But it's really Annie's fault for getting us all used to those good night sleeps. Is it too much to ask for a little consistency from this 13 month old?

Kidding, obviously (hopefully it's obvious-and only kidding about the consistency part). Annie has had some trouble sleeping, though I can't say I blame her. I will say I have somewhat selfishly enjoyed the part where I get to hold her and rock her to sleep. And the part where she's extra cuddly and will actually let me HOLD her for more than 3.5 seconds is also pretty great. BUT...

...let's just say that the holding has it's consequences. Particularly late at night.

Just last night, around midnight, I was holding my sweet daughter. Her head resting in the crook of my arm. Tears were welling up in my eyes as I looked at this sweet thing that Rick and I created. Her eyes grew heavy as she reached up with her hand to touch my face. Unbelievable sweetness. Her hand moved to my chin as she seemed to be sort of exploring my face in the dark room. Then the fingers on the hand started tapping my lips, all still very sweet. We were bonding in these moments.

Then she started tugging on my lip. Her eyes still partially closed, apparently drifting off to sleep.

ok. Whatever she needs to fall asleep.

Fingers (with those razor sharp nails because her cousins have gone on vacation so I can't cut them, and I have been left with Annie Scissor Hands) start reaching into my mouth. Strange. A bit painful, but whatever. I can take it. She still seems to be almost asleep.

Next thing I know, somehow her thumb is jammed 100% up my nose, and her remaining four fingers have taken ahold of my top lip and those nails seem to be about to rip my upper lip from my face. I look down and I see two bright eyes shining up at me, and a big smile behind that binkie.

I push her hand away but try to remain calm. Hand goes right back to my face, but this time with her palm flat over my mouth, index finger digging into the tip of my nose.

And so it went, on and off, for an hour an a half. Annie likely has a significant amount of my skin cells under her nails, if anyone needs a sample. But we bonded for sure. I will have the scars to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment