Friday, June 29, 2012

13 months and 6 days

Dear Annie,
You turning 13 months snuck up on us a bit. I debated on if I should continue these updates now that you are big 1 year old, but you are changing so much now and I still don't have a baby book (hush, Mom) so this will have to do for documentation for now.

You are officially getting your third tooth. It is the top right (your right) and it is taking its sweet time coming in. We thought this might be the source of the diaper rash poopapalooza from last week, but since Rick and I also got a touch of a stomach bug (and as far as I know, teething isn't contagious-but I am not a doctor), I don't think that is it. I think you might be getting a big group of teeth here soon because your gums are a bit more white right at the surface and look like something is trying to break through.

You are so full of personality. You captivated a small group of adults at your friend Charlie's birthday party. The gracious hostess aptly referred to your rolling around, flailing your arms, and mugging at anyone that would make eye contact as your "interpretive dance". It was very entertaining. Not sure where you get this extrovert personality. Must be all those dance parties with your Dad.

You are in size 4 diapers, your clothes are still 12-18 months but I will probably switch to buying 18-24 the next time I buy something as most of your shirts ride up now. You are in size 4 shoes. The great butt chafe of June called for you to eat starchy and salty foods (doc's orders), which kind of derailed your excellent eating habits, but we are getting you back on track. Your favorite foods are grilled cheese and cubed ham. And just about any fruit. You will shovel them in by the handful and somehow manage with just 2.5 teeth.

You are walking up to around 10-15 steps now, pretty much all of a sudden. And you can crawl with break-neck speed. So if you want to get somewhere fast, crawling is your mode of choice. If you are really determined, you put your head down and crawl "battering ram style" straight towards your target. It is both hilarious and terrifying to watch as I imagine your eyes are closed in extreme concentration under that tucked head. Luckily you seem to have a good handle on obstructions in our house and have yet to run head-long into anything. Somehow.

You have a few tricks that you have learned:
What does a doggie say: "oof oof!"
What does a monkey say: "ooo ooo!" not to be confused with oof oof, mind you.
You can point out your belly button
You play "where are you" (which could also be named "Annie Keeps Her Head Under a Blanket for an Uncomfortable Period of Time")
You can blow kisses and sometimes, if you a person is really lucky, you'll give an actual kiss. If a person is really, really lucky, it will be of the french variety. Oh la la!
You give out high fives and high tens. Sometimes entire lunches are occupied with the giving out of high fives.
You can say Daddy, baby, duck, dog, gib (Jen's dog), and you chat what we think is "Annie", though it sounds a bit like Ellie (Jen's oldest daughter). I like to think that you are chanting your own name. No lack of self esteem there.
You have started sleeping with a blanket and bunny is as present as ever. You have even taken to draping bunny across the top of your head during some meals. I figure this keeps it out of the danger zone. You are still sleeping 12 hours a night, and taking 2 naps on most days.

In 20 years I want to remember the feel of your sticky hands (and razor sharp nails) on my legs begging to be picked up, how you only let me cut those nails when your big cousins are dancing like wonderfully distracting monkeys in front of you, how we know you are done eating when you start giving away your food, how you "play chase" with us in your crib in the morning and laugh and laugh at how funny you are, how you will drop it down low and shake that diaper when you hear a song you like (currently "Call me Maybe"), how you insist on "brushing" your own hair after I have already brushed it, usually resulting it looking like this (or possibly worse):


I want to remember how sweet you are when you want to do something yourself, and how frustrated you get when you can't do it without our help. I want to remember how hard it is not to laugh at you when you spit your food back out (which is a messier way you show us when you are finished eating). I want to remember the feel of your heavy head on my shoulder as I put you to bed and how your little hand tightens on the back of my arm when I am holding you and you want to be held a little closer.

I want to remember everything. We love you so much, sweet girl.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment