Thursday, June 14, 2012

Let It Flow

Warning: Poop Talk Ahead

It's no secret in our family that some of us have issues with the deposits not matching the withdrawals, which is code for constipation. Yes. This is being discussed. Primarily because poop has become about one degree off the center of my universe these days. Annie and Rick are the center, and just to the left of that is Annie's poop schedule.

My sister's children, one of them specifically, had significant issues with "the movements" as a child. I have also heard co-worker's tales of woe involving mineral oil, surgical gloves, home enemas, and trips to the ER for "relief". So to say I wanted to avoid this at all costs is an understatement. I was worried that Annie would also have issues with this given her family history, so I have made sure that she has a diet rich in fruits and veggies and that she is always well-hydrated.

A few weeks ago she had some trouble in this department. Just once (as in one diaper), but it sent me into a super-vigilant anti-constipation campaign. Likely because I am insane. I ramped up the veggies, cut out the bananas and rice/pasta, and made sure she got enough fluids. It seems I might have over-corrected.

Now we are having the opposite problem. Like 3-4 times a day. Is this normal? It seems pretty excessive. And all the pooping seems to be interfering with her napping, which is my other great obsession. Turns out Annie hasn't mastered the art of sleeping with a huge diz-ump in her shorts. I guess her abilities do have limitations. Oh, and it's also becoming a great expense what with the billion diaper changes a day. We've even had to PURCHASE our own diapers instead of using the generously provided diapers from Papa Erwin. We just go through them so quickly.

I guess I should be thankful that we don't have the opposite problem, and I am sure Annie will be thrilled that I am publicly discussing her pooping habits when she is old enough to read this blog. But the blog is supposed to be about our lives, and these days our lives are all about the poop.

3 comments:

  1. It's like if Chip had a blog ... Just this morning he was fretting about Mary Clare's "schedule."

    To answer your question about the surplus, no, I don't think the additional dirty diapers is out of the ordinary. Charlie goes in waves. Just cut back on some of the fruit, and I'm sure it will level out for her. Just keep an eye on her bum, and invest in some Balmex if you don't already have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! There are just some things that need to be discussed, and in my family - poop is one that is the topic of conversation more often then usual.
    With that being said, Avery is a 2-3 times a day dumper. She is not the best eater anymore - but she does love fruit and drinks a ton of water and I think that helps keep her "regular". At her 1 year check up, her Dr said that at this point, veggies and fruits are interchangeable and not to get to hung up on the fact that she will no longer eat veggies.
    When she does seem to have a trouble moving her little bowels, our chiropractor adjusts her and she is serious back to "normal" but the next poo. Not sure if you are a chiropractor kind of person, but I have seen it help a lot with her pooing, sleeping, and teething.
    Off my soapbox now. Did you ever think, even a year ago, that you would be so enamored by poop, especially someone else's???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I am responding to your comment on my midweek confession post here because...you don't have(or I cannot find)an email associated with your blog or profile so I have to come back here to respond because I am new at the also (blind leading the blind much?)and this is the only way I know how if I can't find an email. For my blog, I don't respond back as a comment because I do not believe there is any kind of notification that goes to the person I am attempting to respond to.
    But in my post, I was referring to people who ignore comments on Instagram, not blogs, but that is disheartening too. MY feeling is that if someone takes the time to comment, at all, I can, in turn, acknowledge them. And I guess I expect the same from others. Silly I know and I obviously have too much time on my hands to even fret over these kind of trivial things.

    ReplyDelete