Friday, May 18, 2012

Nature Hates Me

Some of you OG blog followers will recall that I don't have much of a green thumb and may or may not have hired some questionable talent to do yard work for us back in the day. Well, when Pedro wasn't busy destroying our yard, he was raising his prices, so we had to let him go (only after he continued to show up and mow the lawn, blaming the language barrier for the miscommunication regarding payment, then demanding additional payment for the weed treatment he so generously gave us-I think the non-payment after a few rounds got the message across).

Rick and I (mostly Rick) have been trudging along with the lawn care, just doing enough to keep us from getting a fine for grass length violations. My one responsibility is the hydrangea bush. This thing is hearty and really resists all my apparent efforts to kill it. So hearty that in the last few years, it has even BLOOMED, which is unheard of in my world. The past few years there have been a handfull of beautiful green and pink blooms, so I figured this year I would chop those suckers off and use them to decorate Annie's birthday party. This will allow me to both save money and kill plants, which are two things I excell at.

I have kept an eye on ye ole hydrangea bush and it seemed to be blooming even more than years past, and I was thrilled. The flowers were coming in bright and pink and it was going to match perfectly with my pink and green theme.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Then I checked them again yesterday. 

BOOM! In your face! About 95% of them turned BLUE!

Still beautiful, yes. But BLUE. Blue was not in the color scheme. But guess what, it is now! It's going to take a lot more than mother nature to keep me from saving money on floral arrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment