Monday, June 24, 2013

The Time I Almost Killed Us at the Movies

 
 
 
 
Annie has been watching Monster's Inc. for a few months and she's way into it, so we figured it was a no-brainer to take her to see Monster's University when it came out. We stocked up on provisions prior to our show time (second attempt, it was sold out for the Saturday afternoon show) on sunday morning, 10:05 to be precise.
 
We hit the ground running on the candy consumption. Raisinets (this will look wrong no matter how you spell it) for Rick (because they are healthy he says), Mike and Ikes for me (because this is all baby Boom wants during this pregnancy) and Red Vines for Annie.
 
After about half a bag of red vines, and hardly making it through the previews, Annie decided she wanted my Mike and Ikes, so I shared. We blazed through that box in 30 minutes. We still had about an hour to go in the movie and Annie was screaming "MORE PEESH!" and clawing her way across my torso trying to grab the empty box. Rick retreated to purchase more candy.
 
He returned with an additional (larger) box of Mike and Ikes and a small bag of popcorn. Annie and I shared this box again, as well as the popcorn. By some miracle we didn't finish the entire box, mainly because Annie kept getting distracted by funky dance beats in the movie and getting up to bust a move. It would take her about 5 minutes to recall there was candy in the vicinity but then she was back with a vengeance.
 
I didn't really realize what damage we had done until the movie was over, my head was buzzing like I had just inhaled an tank of helium (or nitrous) and Annie's eyes were darting one way and her head the other. When you see your child behaving like a deranged meth head, you realize perhaps you should have scaled back on the candy distribution.
 
We crashed that afternoon, then Annie proceeded to crap her way through the evening. The carnage was visible in the diaper shrapnel. Apparently red vines are the corn of the candy world. Who knew?
 
I have noticed I have felt like crap for the past few weeks and it has to be food related. Or at least that's my working theory. So I am making a vow to try harder. To make at least two new things a week and that Annie WILL TRY NEW THINGS. I have sent out a beacon on facebook and already have some good responses. Cookbooks will be purchased. I will buy fresh produce. My oven will be turned on and I will sweat like Paula Dean's publicist because our kitchen is so small and our AC barely works in there, but this will happen.
 
I will post reviews of my efforts here. And then maybe this buzzing in my head will stop.


1 comment:

  1. Oh this is so great. Sounds almost like our outing Friday night. I wish you would have sent me a text of the aftermath. Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete