Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Good Hair

When I was envisioning my life with a sweet baby girl, I imagined dresses, cute outfits, maybe even a bow or two to pin back what I was sure would be poker straight brown hair. I was prepared for thick or thin hair. But straight. And brown. Because that's what's swimming around in our little gene pool.

I was not prepared for a curly-haired blond baby.

But, I have done my research, chatting up any parent that has a curly haired child, asking what they do, what they don't do, trying to cull together some sort of plan. I attacked it scientifically. I would implement any new strategy and then observe the results. Don't wash more than once a week, use conditioner as necessary. Don't brush it, use a comb as necessary. Typically, the results ended up something like this:

Not ideal. Unless your goal is for your child to look like Gary Busey's mug shot (google it).

To make things extra annoying, there would be days where it would actually end up looking cute. But those tended to be few and far between, or a cute hair day was ruined by an aggresssive nap where the baby hair that went in was not the baby hair that emerged. And introduce winter hats to the mix...no bueno.

As far as I can tell, Annie's hair is too straight to be treated like curly hair, and too curly to be treated like regular straight hair. So I am abandoning the curly hair regimen as I can stand crazy semi-curly hair, but I cannot stand crazy dirty, unbrushed semi-curly hair. If the lack of brushing or washing resulted in cute curls, I would be 100% on board. But, alas, we do not fit the mold.

So moving forward, we will wash, brush....

...and pray for good hair days (like today).

No comments:

Post a Comment