Monday, November 12, 2012

Crankster

In addition to the aforementioned biting, Annie has been a bit cranky these days. Not 100% of the time. The hitting seems to make her happy.

But there are some times where nothing, not even a good thwack to Mom's face, will make the whining stop. It is in these times that I struggle most as a mother. I have no idea what to do. I usually spend the first five minutes of the whinefest trying to figure out what's wrong.

Doing this with a toddler with limited communication skills is a lesson in futility.

I will spend the next five minutes trying to ignore the tantrum. You always hear people say that if you ignore a misbehaving child, they will stop.

They are lying. Or these children don't have the same stick-to-itness as my dear Annie.

I also don't know how to ignore her. I mean she's clawing her way up my leg whilst screaming. At one point I actually found myself running from her in an effort to "ignore" her. Not the proudest moment.

The other afternoon Annie woke up from a nap in an especially cranky mood. So much so she was trashing around and was pretty much a danger to herself and others. I rationalized that she must not have been ready to wake up yet, so I put her back in her crib and walked out of the room.

And she cried.

And wailed.

And called for Mommy.

After a few minutes I became convinced I was inflicting irreversible psychological damage and decided to go rescue my daughter. Her face was covered in snot and tears and my heart broke. She reached for me and yelled:

MOM SHOESH!

Yes. Mom, Shoes.

I think she's going to survive. I can't say the same for her mom.

1 comment:

  1. The whining. Seriously. Tonight I asked Chip, "Seriously, when is he going to start talking?" He said I'll regret saying that, but I think not.

    ReplyDelete