Thursday, January 5, 2012

Generous Birthday Boy

There was some confusion on the internets regarding the 1/3/12 post about the song lyrics. Firstly, I got the song wrong and Patrick actually had ranted about that innane "Moves Like Jagger" song. B) Some didn't catch that I was being sarcastic in saying that it was Patrick's favorite song (though i do love that people would think that I would rip apart his favorite song on his birthday), and 3) I copied those lyrics from the internet. I don't love the song so much that I knew all of that by heart. Though in a cruel twist, thanks to that post, that song has been stuck in my head for the last 48 hours.

Because Patrick doesn't want his birthday to just be all about him, I received this email from him yesterday:
"elvira" -the oakridge boys
Eyes that look like heaven, lips like sherry wine
-is sherry a type of wine? also, i always thought this line was 'cherry wine'. seems like that would be sweeter.
That girl can sure enough make my little light shine
-listening to this now as an adult, i think this might be dirty. but i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt
I get a funny feelin' up and down my spine
-i think i was right about the dirty thing
'Cause I know that my Elvira's mine
So I'm singin' Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
-i always thought this line was 'my house is on fire'. and i should admit that i also thought the name of the song was 'lil' fire-up'. i know-it makes no sense, but we all make mistakes. and...there is fire in the song! anyway, i've learned my lesson. the hard way. 8 year olds can be cruel. let's move on.
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
-so...i used to think that this part of the song was kind of a 'doo-wop/showcase for the deep voice guy' section. which i get. but now...i think this is the noise that they make when they see elvira walk by. kind of a redneck construction worker whistle. which is inappropriate, since she is about to be engaged(as we'll find out later in the song).
Heigh-ho Silver, away
-what? first of all, is this spelled right? it reads like 'hey-hoe silver'. in the song, it sounds like 'hi-yo silver'.secondly, what does this have to do with anything? a horse riding reference? is elvira the horse? this is starting to seem really dirty.
Tonight I'm gonna meet her at the Hungry House Cafe
-a lot of people don't know that this is actually a typo. it's supposed to be 'waffle house'.
And I'm gonna give her all the love I can
-again. 'love' should be 'waffles'
She's gonna jump and holler 'cause I saved up my last two dollars
-i hate to nitpick, but do you 'save up' your last two dollars? i would say, 'i managed to hang on to my last two dollars'. saving the last two is like a deathbed confession. "i'm gonna wait until the money is almost gone....and THEN i'm gonna start saving!". really, saving is something else entirely.
We're gonna search and find that preacher man
-so...does the preacher man charge two dollars? or is that for the honeymoon? was this song written in 1904? where do you live? how much were those waffles???
Now I'm a singin' Elvira, Elvira
My heart's on fire Elvira
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Giddy Up Oom Poppa Omm Poppa Mow Mow
Heigh-ho Silver, away

I am thinking of starting a new blog.

2 comments:

  1. Can we request songs for him to review? Because I would like a review of Kenny Rogers' "Coward of the County." After listening to it as an adult, I was completely appalled that I listened to this as a child. And maybe owned the record. And maybe a shirt that said "I [heart] Kenny Rogers." Again, maybe this happened, maybe it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting. i think at one point i liked that song at least enough to know all the words(which is pretty much the highest level of liking at 8 or however old i was). it's really kaly's turn, but i'll take a look. i'm a little worried about some of the, ahem, adult content-this being a family blog and all.....

    ReplyDelete