Thursday, April 30, 2015

Annie's Art

Filed squarely under "Things I did not anticipate being fascinated with" is the development of Annie's artwork. It's essentially blown up this year, and in the last three months in particular. Her teachers don't really know what spurred it, but every day she comes home with droves of little pictures she's sketched of various magical and everyday things. She's also just started drawing things in the air, asking me if that "looks right" and I can tell there's so much whizzing around in that little head of hers.

I love getting these little glimpses into how she sees the world and what's important enough to her to sit down and draw it for us.

Annie at the beach in the water.

A "newcorn" (unicorn-note the horn)

Mommy in a bikini

And her family (left to right, Mom, Dad, John and Annie)

It has really showed me that she SEES everything. When I broke my toe, drawings of me had the little support shoe. When we were at the beach, drawings of me were in a bikini (it's a fairly accurate representation). But her drawings also seem to be skewed by how she sees others. For example, she has started drawing me with "red lipstick and high heels" (shown in picture above). Now, those of you who know me, know I am not really a red lipstick and high heels kind of gal. But somehow, that's how she sees me. Or maybe that's her subtle way of saying she wants me to dress up more. No idea. But either way, it's fascinating.

I love that, for the most part, she will draw our family together. Or she will draw herself with her cousins and her brother. And everyone is always smiling or doing something fun. So while her pictures aren't always 100% accurate in the details, I think they are a good representation of Annie's life in general. And based on her pics, it looks like a pretty good life, and that makes me very happy.

1 comment:

  1. How did I miss this? Those pictures are fantastic, and are also one of my favorite things. I promise you, the artwork and the elaborate playtime scenarios only get better.

    ReplyDelete