Thursday, October 16, 2014

This Time, With Feeling


There are few things I have delighted in more than watching a child learn the English language. And with the start of school, Annie is learning all sorts of new, fun words. She now says exciting things like "frustrated" and "suffocate" and "emergency". I am not sure exactly what is going on at school. We are kind of on a "don't ask/don't tell" policy at this point.

Along with learning new words comes learning proper inflection, which is probably my favorite. Annie is very enthusiastic about almost everything and so random words are always getting screamed or stretcccchhhheeed ouuuuuuuttt. Or stretched out while screaming. It's awesome.

Yesterday we were headed out to pick up a doll that will assist her in learning how to perform basic tasks like zipping zippers and buttoning buttons. Because God forbid her parents help her with that. (the doll won't bleed when she starts swinging out of frustration -fun new word- when she can't button her shirt properly) Every man for themselves and all that.

We missed the turn for our house and Annie asked where we were going:

Me: to pick up something
Annie: What? A sooo-prise? For me?
Me: I guess it's a surprise. I am not sure how you are going to feel about it.
Annie: Oh mom, I am sure I will feel A LOT about it.

The doll made it home. After one failed attempt at buttoning the button, and a swift jab to the doll's midsection (frustration), it sits on our dining room table.

Turns out, she didn't feel a lot about it. So frustrating.




No comments:

Post a Comment